- Welcome to The Oval School
- Our Vision & Values
- Meet the Staff
- Policies and Documents
- Pupil Premium Funding
- School Results
- SEND Information
- Sports Premium Grant
- Daily Absence Procedure
- Weekly Attendance Data
- Leave in Term Time (Holidays)
- Spotlight on Attendance
- Attendance Policy Page
- Attendance and Safeguarding
- Virtual Tour
- Our Allotment
Daily Absence Procedures
The school applies the following procedures in deciding how to deal with individual absences;
- Parents are expected to contact the school either by telephone (0121 464 3248 option 1) or email (AttendEveryDay@theoval.bham.sch.uk) on the first day of absence to provide a suitable reason for not attending.
- If the school has not been contacted, parents will be notified either by automated telephone call, telephone conversation or home visit every day the pupil is absent, until a suitable reason has been provided. If no reason is provided the absence is recorded as unauthorised.
At The Oval School we have adopted an automated calling system called Truancy Call; if you have not provided the school with a reason for your child's absence you may receive an automated call. (This is an 0845 number and is free for parents to use). You can leave reasons for absence on the Truancy Call system by following the prompts, alternatively, you can store the number that Truancy Call calls you on and text message reasons for absence to that number in future.
- Medical appointments, if possible, should be made outside of school time, if this is not possible you should bring in the appointment letter to the school before the day of the appointment. At the latest appointment cards should be provided to the school on return from the appointment.
- The school day starts at 8.55am to be punctual it is advised that you are in the playground between 8.45am and 8.50am where school staff are on duty to help and support you. Pupils arriving after 8.55am must enter through the main office and be signed-in by an adult to receive a late mark; this ensures that the pupil is accounted for in case of an emergency.
Please be aware that children arriving after 9.25am will be coded in the registers as an unauthorised absence (U code), this will be detrimental to the pupils attendance percentage.
- As a school we strongly discourage holidays or visits abroad being taken during term time, The Oval School have adopted the Birmingham City Council guidelines on ‘leave in term time’
If you intend to remove your child or children from school for the purpose of a holiday you must complete a ‘Leave in Term Time Request Form’ (available from the school office)
- We have introduced a new colour code system to help pupils, parents and staff identify when an individual’s absence becomes an issue, the procedures for absence may change if your child falls below 93% attendance.